Tascam DR-40X Portable 4-Track Audio Recorder & USB Audio Interface
Professional Deal for live capture: line level input
Dual Neutrik® XLR/TRS combo jacks support both mic-level and +4dBu line-level. These inputs can accept balanced microphone or line level from Mixers or the FOH console. The microphone preamp includes +48V phantom power and plenty of gain for detailed recordings with condenser microphones, as well as electret type microphones. Using the stereo built-in microphones, you can capture ambient sound of the audience while recording direct from an external console, which is ideal for capturing live performances.
Wide covering range: from whispering voice to jet engine
DR-40X allows high-quality recording with its stereo built-in condenser microphones. Every detail is captured from small whispers to loud sounds up to 125dB SPL. These built-in microphones are adjustable unidirectional microphones for recording in an X-Y pattern for tight stereo imaging, or in an A-B pattern for a more ambient recording.
The layout of the DR-40X has been revamped to be quick and easy to work with one thumb. Operations like recording, adjusting levels, deleting bad takes and adding markers are just a button press away.
Four-track recording mode gives you several options to record
In addition to normal stereo channel recording and Dual Recording mode, DR-40X has “4CH Mode” that can record two different stereo feeds simultaneously. The combination of the sources are flexible; recording the built-in microphones along with a pair of external Mics such as close-up and ambient microphones, or recording the built-in Mics along with a balanced line input such as the feed from a mixer along with the sound in the room.
Safety track for unpredictable situation
DR-40X has a Dual Recording mode that captures a copy of your take but at a lower level, as a safety track in case of sudden distortion. Also, Auto recording function can detect the sound input signal level and automatically start recording. The Pre-recording function with up to 2 seconds pre-record provides fail-safe protection.
Still safe if it is louder than you thought.
Peak Reduction works in rehearsal mode or in record. Even if the sound or performance is louder than the sound check you’re safe. Combined with Auto level and Limiter for preventing distortion, you never have to worry.
- High-quality unidirectional stereo condenser microphones that can record in A-B and X-Y positions
- XLR/TRS inputs compatible with +4dBu line level / +48V
- 4-channel mode that can be used for dual recording and nondestructive overdub recording, etc.
- Support multiple languages for menu (ENG/FRA/DEU/ITA/ESP/RUS/PRT/JPN/CHI/KOR)
- Overwrite function for Punch-In recording with one level of Undo
- Functions as a 2in/ 2out USB Audio Interface for Mac, PC or iOS recording
- Dictation mode designed for human voice recording and transcription
- MS decoding function making it possible to use M-S microphones
- Optional RC-3F foot switch and RC-10 wired remote control can be connected
- Long-time operation of maximum 18 hours is possible using just the internal batteries
- Reverb effect
- Auto recording function
- Proven high sound pressure design for capturing loud sounds of up to 125dB SPL
- Peak reduction function that detects peaks and automatically sets the optimal level
- Self timer recording function
- Seamless gain control
- Low-cut filter with three levels (40/80/120Hz)
- Speed change (VSA) function for adjusting the speed from 0.5 to 1.5 times (in 0.1 increments)
- Level align feature that prevents uneven volume levels
- Equalizer setting for adjusting playback sound quality
- Divide/delete functions
- Loop/repeat playback function that is convention for practicing music and studying languages
- Resume function that retains the last stop position and starts playback from that position when power is turned back ON
- Jump-back playback function that skips back a preset number of seconds during playback
- QUICK menu button for easy access to various functions
- High-quality 24-bit/96kHz WAV/BWF linear PCM and MP3
- SD/ SDHC/ SDXC (up to 128GB) can be used for recording media
- Mark function that can set up to 99 points for a single track
- Audio files created on computers can be played (Only in formats compatible with this product)
- Built-in monaural speaker with an output of 0.3W
- Pre-recording buffer that can record up to 2 seconds prior to starting recording
- When a predetermined maximum file size is reached, a new file is created to continue recording
- Track increment creates new files at arbitrary locations during recording
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
- The first six characters of the file name for recording can be set freely
- Playlist function
- A chromatic tuner is equipped which is helpful for practicing musical instruments
- Stereo mini line output / Headphone output connector
- 128×64 pixel graphic LCD with backlight
- High-speed file transfer to a computer using USB 2.0
- Powered by 3 AA batteries, USB bus power, or optional AC adapter (PS-P520E)
- Rubber feet for improving acoustic properties during desktop recordings are included
- Tripod attachment screw-hole built in to the unit
- Recording Media
- SD card (64MB to 2GB), SDHC card (4GB to 32GB), SDXC card (up to 128GB)
- File System FAT16/32
- Recording File Format
- WAV / BWF
- Sampling Frequency 44.1k / 48k / 96k Hz
- Bit-depth 16 / 24-bit
- Sampling Frequency 44.1k / 48k Hz
- Recording Bit-rate 32k / 64k / 96k / 128k / 192k / 256k / 320k bps
- Playback Bit-rate 32k to 320k bps, VBR, ID3TAG Ver. 2.4
- Number of Channels 4-channel (2 Stereo)
- Playback speed control 0.5 to 1.5 times (in 0.1 increments) * 44.1k/48kHz only
- Built-in Microphone Unidirectional, Stereo (switchable between A-B and X-Y positions)
- EXT MIC/LINE IN
- Connector XLR/TRS Combo jack (1: GND, 2: HOT, 3: COLD)
- Nominal Input Level –19dBV (MIC) / +4dBu (LINE)
- Maximum Input Level –3dBV (MIC) / +20dBu (LINE)
- Input Impedance 2.2kΩ (MIC) / 10kΩ (LINE)
- PHONES/LINE OUT
- Connector 1/8" (3.5mm) Stereo Mini jack (Unbalanced)
- for LINE connection
- Nominal Output Level –14dBV (10kΩ load)
- Maximum Output Level +2dBV (10kΩ load)
- Output Impedance 12Ω
- for Headphones connection
- Maximum Output Power 20mW + 20mW (32Ω load)
- Connector USB Micro B-type
- Format USB2.0 HIGH SPEED
- Built-in Speaker 0.3W, Mono
- Low-cut Filter 40 / 80 / 120Hz
- Chromatic Tuner C1 to B6, A4 = 435Hz to 445Hz (in 1Hz increments)
- Effector 6 presets (Hall 1, Hall 2, Room, Studio, Plate 1, Plate 2)
- Tripod attachment screw-hole 1/4" Tripod attachment screw-hole
- Power 3 AA Batteries, USB bus power, AC 100 to 240V (optional AC Adapter)
- Power Consumption 2.5 W (Max)
- Battery Operation Time
- Alkaline (EVOLTA) approx. 18 hours (2ch WAV, 44.1kHz, 16-bit, using Built-in Microphone, JEITA)
- Ni-MH (eneloop) approx. 16 hours (2ch WAV, 44.1kHz, 16-bit, using Built-in Microphone, JEITA)
- Dimensions (W×H×D) 2.75" × 6.1" × 1.37" / 70 × 155 × 35 mm
- Weight 8.3 oz. / 213 g
- Frequency Response
- Fs 44.1kHz 20Hz to 20kHz, +1/–3dB (EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
- Fs 48kHz 20Hz to 22kHz, +1/–3dB (EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
- Fs 96kHz 20Hz to 40kHz, +1/–3dB (EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
- Total Harmonic Distortion 0.05% or less (Fs 44.1k/48k/96kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio 92 dB or higher (Fs 44.1k/48k/96kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
- Computer Windows PC with USB2.0 or USB3.0 port
- CPU Dual Core, 2GHz or faster (x86)
- Memory 2GB or more
- CPU Power PC, iMac, G3, G4, G5 266MHz or faster
- Memory 64MB or more
- USB USB2.0 recommended
- Model Name:
FREE Standard Delivery on orders over £99.00.
Orders placed before 4pm will normally be dispatched the same day.
Please refer to our delivery schedule for exceptions.
Delivery Upgrade Options (Over £99)
- DPD Express Next Working Day - £4.99
- Next Working Day Pre 12pm - £8.99
- Saturday / Sunday - £9.99
At Music Matter, our goal is to ensure complete satisfaction with your purchase.
If, for whatever reason, you are dissatisfied with your purchase, you can return it to Music Matter within 30 days of receiving the item, providing it arrives back in new condition.
You have the option of receiving a full refund / exchange within 14 days, or, exchange / credit only within 30 days.
Full Refund Within 14 days
In order to receive a full refund, you must notify us within 14 days of receiving the goods. Once you have notified us you will have 14 days to return the product to us.
Exchange Within 30 days
In order to exchange an item, you must notify us within 30 days of receiving the goods. Once you have notified us you will have days to return the product to us.
Goods received back 14 days after the cooling of period ends may be rejected.
Your returns period starts the day after you receive the item(s)
Click here to view our full Returns Policy.
Secure Online Payment Powered By Braintree
We accept the following debit / credit cards:
Pay for your item(s) in just a few clicks with PayPal.
Finance provided By etika
We have partnered with etika so you can spread the cost of your purchase. Simply add the items you love to your basket. Once you are at the checkout choose "Apply for Finance" as your payment option.
Who can apply for finance?
- You must be over 18 years of age.
- You must be employed at least 16 hours per week, self-employed, retired in receipt of a pension or receiving disability payments.
- You must be a permanent UK resident with at least 3 years UK address history.
- You must have a good credit history with no late payments, debt relief orders, CCJs, IVAs or bankruptcies.
- You must have an active valid email address.
Pay Later with PayPal Pay in 3
Split purchases into three interest-free monthly payments at millions of stores online.
Subject to status. UK residents only. Late fees apply. PayPal is a responsible lender. Pay in 3 performance may influence your credit score. T&Cs apply.
Check out securely with PayPal and choose Pay in 3 from your account.
Subject to status. Terms and Conditions apply. UK residents only. PayPal is a responsible lender. Pay in 3 performance may influence your credit score. PayPal Pay in 3 is a trading name of PayPal (Europe) S.à.r.l. et Cie, S.C.A., 22-24 Boulevard Royal, L-2449, Luxembourg.
Click here to learn more about Pay in 3.
Minimum 12 Months Warranty
All new & used goods supplied by Music Matter are warranted free from defects for 12 months from the date of supply (unless otherwise stated).
Many manufacturers offer a free extended warranty upon registration.